Sunday, November 29, 2009

Week 11 readings

Arms "Implementing Policies for Access Management":
I agree with Arms that the technology for authenticating users can be frustrating, especially if the system requires a user ID and password. Many times, users forget their IDs or passwords, and then retrieving the information can be time-consuming.
Arms writes,"One question that frequently arises in access management is whether it is possible to agree on a standard set of attributes that will serve many different applications." This paper was published in 1998. I was wondering if any attribute standards for digital libraries have been created since then.

Lesk "Economics"
I agree with Lesk that it is cheaper for libraries to provide users access to journals online than to purchase paper subscriptions. However, a greater number of digital materials in a library's collection would mean that the library has to buy additional computers so that patrons can access those materials, which can be expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment