Saturday, October 3, 2009

Week 4 readings

Witten Section 2.2:

I thought that the three objectives of the bibliographic system, finding, collocation, and choice, were interesting. Each objective is designed to make it easier for the end user to find and retrieve the information he/she is looking for. I agree with Witten's point that a successful didgital library is one that mimics a traditional library. The author writes, "helpful digital libraries need to present users with an image of stability and continuity, as though electronic documents were identifiable, discreet objects like physical ones" (49).

Gilliland reading:
The author briefly mentions automated metadata creation. I am curious about how this can be achieved. It seems that an object would need to be examined by a human to create metadata that best describes that object.
Gilliland writes about the broad scope of metadata extending outside of the traditional library catalog. For instance, I am creating metadata when I create tags for my favorite websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment